Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Andrew Bird and the Simon Estes Amphitheater

Andrew Bird, almost by name alone, lured me to Nitefall on the River.  After abiding the careful advice of a friend I was ready to embark on a little journey with Mr. Bird. I was even promised a sock monkey sighting, which ended up guiding me to my favorite part of his show.

Mr. Bird put on quite a concert, even breathtaking at times, but I found myself with more questions than answers after the show.  Starting with: behind the sock monkey, what was that odd Y-shaped tornado that created an fantastic sensation when Bird turned it on?   Each revolution on this contraption sent sound echoing in every possible direction. Upon returning each tone had changed, maybe even melted in the time-lapse.  This combined with the natural reverb from the amphitheater was a reel treat to experience.

This infamous instrument is called a "double spinning horn speaker" and I wish it were in my price range...  

To begin the show Bird made the crowd marinate while gathered in the bowl that is Simon Estes Amphitheater.  His subtle plucks, melancholy violin solos, and the double spinning horn speaker going at full speed made me feel awash in the blue glow of the stage light.  What a terrific sensation.  As soon he turned off the machine, however, time seemed to change, like he actually controlled it.  Following the cloud of sound he let a great pause hang in the calm night air thereby creating an enveloping and intimate suspense.

Andrew Bird is one very talented musician.... and does a pretty good Kermit cover.



No comments:

Post a Comment