Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Casablanca at the Varsity Theater
















Des Moines movie geeks know about the Varsity Theater - the old and true independent movie theater located in the Drake Neighborhood.  Until 8/16/12 this movie-showing relic will be screening what is often debated as the greatest film of all time: Casablanca. I'd imagine that this film has played in this theater before, maybe even in the year the film was released (as Varsity Theater has been around a while to say the least).

Casablanca is a tremendous film.  I own a digital iTunes copy and with my iPad or laptop I can watch this gem under almost any circumstance (I am very fortunate indeed).  I only paid $6 to watch it for the experience of the "big screen" (well worth it).  Regardless of the price it cost, I think that it pays more back.  This film has a long kept legacy - and for good reason.

While watching it this time I became more focused on the political atmosphere.  After watching a short clip about it on public television sometime ago, I realized how well my love story was accentuated by the political turbulence.  When the film came out in 1942, it came off as a bit tongue in cheek, but was done so stunningly the world has been gobbling it up ever since.

We're gaining strength by doing this or maybe inducting this story into a canon of sorts.  (If you don't believe me how much culture has nibbled at this film...)  I was making some great connections to a young-adult literature book I read in April called Little Brother by Corey Doctorow.  It was published 2008 and deals with politics in its own technology draped way, but I think the underground movements of the two stories are built on similar territory- through the many parallels both of these heroes see a threat on basic human rights.  A transcendent message as old as the building that houses it...

In honor of basic humans rights go see Casablanca on the big screen at the Varsity Theater before it is too late....

-C.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment